Friday, July 08, 2005

I have PR woes too

I am just sick of telling PR people in Bangalore that my newspaper (oh and I'm also sick of maintaining this anonymity and gravely saying 'my newspaper' as if I bloody own the place) so anyway, I'm sick of telling PR people in Bangalore that The Telegraph does not have an edition in Bangalore. I am sick of admitting to them with an involuntary guilty twinge that no, it does not have an edition in Delhi, and no, not Bombay either -- and hearing successively more depressed ohs. If that makes me rank somewhere close to my defunct school magazine in PR and media value, well, as they say in the corporate world, they can take their business elsewhere.

But seriously, why are these people so abysmally ignorant? I'm sure even the average readers of newspapers on the streets of Bangalore know that there is no newspaper called The Telegraph published here, some may even vaguely be aware of its actual geographical location, so what excuse do people working in a media-related industry have for not knowing this basic fact?

4 Comments:

At July 08, 2005 8:35 PM, Blogger The Marauder's Map said...

Lol. But my dear, you've finally reached a place you can proudly claim you belong to, since it's a name almost every PIB illiterate would also have heard of. So when you say the name of the newspaper you work for now, you can confidently say, chest swelling with pride, that you are calling from ...

Unless you have to get too specific, and they think it's a restaurant or something!

 
At July 13, 2005 6:27 PM, Blogger hemangini said...

we have to deal with queries about whether the 'hindu times' publishes from Bangalore. So lighten up... the grass is always greener...

 
At July 13, 2005 9:52 PM, Blogger The Marauder's Map said...

Mangs: At least your newspaper is published in Bangalore. At least people have heard of it. I either get mistaken for somebody from the Daily Telegraph (have to disillusion them on this point though sometimes I feel like pretending I am) or, like my friend the wall flower, the post and telegraph dept.

 
At July 25, 2005 9:48 PM, Blogger :..M..: said...

Hehe. I'd have laughed in someone's face if they asked me whether my paper was published in India..for all that you know, I'd be caught saying something like 'Hell, no!' (although I might not really mean it)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home