Monday, August 01, 2005

Meets and all

There was a bloggers’ meet in Bangalore. Last week. Wednesday. Have been putting off writing about it ever since. Not because there was nothing to write about or anything, but was in very lazy mood. Also, was enjoying attention received by Harry Potter post, so didn’t want to distract people from it with yet another scintillating post about the evening that was the Bangalore Boggers’ Meet Episode 1.

It was scheduled for 1900 hours Wednesday last. When I walked into the best Barista outlet in India on St Mark’s Road (no, the coffee is as predictable as ever but it’s in the huge ground floor hall of an ancient colonial building with old stone walls that used to house, I think, the Bible Society), there was a group of four boys (sorry, boys) sitting awkwardly on and around the sofa in the corner below the TV.

The weird thing was, when I had built a mental image of what the blogger’s meet might look like, that’s exactly where I’d placed the entire group in my mind. Which goes to show, I suppose, that velvet sofas are really good for stimulating conversation or how boring and predictable we are (I mean, why didn’t anybody think of plonking themselves on the Barista counter?) or some such sad truth. Anyway.

So the group was all there. Arka, who was the only person there whose appearance I was vaguely familiar with, and Mandar and Sanket and Sridhar. All they needed was a little bit of spark that was duly provided by me. Soon other people joined, such as Sunayana, Venks and Jayashree. Lot of stimulating conversation happened (velvet sofa contributed, am sure) – on variety of topics such as each others’ blogs, other people’s blogs, when next blog meet would be, Harry Potter… my memory begins to fade. Age, must be.

On the whole, not bad. We’ve even started a Bangalore bloggers’ Google group. The next meet was on Saturday, which I missed because of demanding friend from Delhi. Another meet scheduled for 15 August weekend, and am fervently hoping the date just happens to be convenient because of long weekend and all and has nothing to with patriotism etc. I mean, dedicated as I have become to all things blogging, I draw the line at sitting down and talking about the state of the nation and how the economy is doing and things like that. Can’t imagine anything more corny. *Shudder shudder.* (Am at heart deep social thinker and all, I’ll have you know, but prefer to keep my thoughts for deep PhD am doing on said subject.)

To make up for lack of social insight I might have provided, have offered to turn up in Tricolour sequined mini-dress. How’s that as mark of deep and unwavering patriotism?

7 Comments:

At August 02, 2005 1:10 PM, Blogger Jabberwock said...

How come rum man didn't go? Busy at work or does he feel the same way about these large meets as I do?

 
At August 02, 2005 1:28 PM, Blogger The Marauder's Map said...

On any given weekday evening, rum man is sitting in that dreary office of his doing equity analysis. So in spite of wanting to go (and he has no reservations about blog meets, trust me, plus he wanted to keep an eye on me given my philandering ways) he couldn't. Maybe will go for aug 15 meet together, hand in hand, picture of happy couple and togetherness etc.

 
At August 02, 2005 5:19 PM, Blogger Jabberwock said...

I take it the definition of 'philandering' hasn't changed? Still the coquettish sideways glance followed by a cry of "Look at me, I'm such a big FLIRT!!"

 
At August 02, 2005 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little birdie told me that some of the bloggers at the "you-check- my-blog-I-will-check-yours" meet thought Marauder's Map had hit 30. Puzzling. I thought she looks much older.

 
At August 02, 2005 10:16 PM, Blogger nothing said...

marauding mashima. MARAUDING MASHIMA. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
blogisite: better blogs, than backs, eh?
about the MM's looks, ahem

 
At August 03, 2005 9:52 PM, Blogger s said...

bagchi...if it means anything, my adulation remains undiluted. and the jabberwock is the most social blogger in delhi, so dont believe a word he says - his claims of sociopath-hood are even less convincing than your claims of philandering

 
At August 04, 2005 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, you will never change!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home