Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I asked my good friend Samit Basu (you know, the celebrated author) a few months back why I was such a loser as a blogger (as opposed to a star candidate in everything else in life). He, probably not wishing to hurt my feelings by saying rude things, said it might be because I didn't blog often enough. Keep at it, he seemed to say, and one day you will have a blog to rival this and this and oh, maybe even this. (Reminds me of that story about a million monkeys on a million typewriters etc, but maybe that's not what Samit had in mind).

So anyway, I've been thinking about it (nah, I've not, just wanted to name-drop about the only celebrity I've been thrown out of Rodeo's for suspected under-ageness with) and so I've decided to blog more frequently.

Also, I've been going through old posts of mine and decided they're not half bad and that I can be pretty entertaining if I put my mind to it. So this, my loyal readers who still bother to check or are too lazy to delete my stub from Bloglines, is The Marauder's Map Redux (and of course I had to do it when blogspot seems to be blocked again. It's called perversity).

Anyway, so I shall leave you with a little anecdote from my scintillating life. Warning: autowallas feature.

R has been extremely uncooperative about buying a car, no matter how many frantic and tearful stories I tell him about how the autowallas in this city are treating me. So today when we were out together I wanted to show him how tough it is for a lady in this city who doesn't own a car. We were waiting at a crossing for an auto and I turned to him and said 'Now you just watch how painful this process is' . The next second, I'm not joking, an auto screeched to a stop two inches from my toe. Not to be daunted, I asked him most belligerently if he wanted to go to (the unfashionable end of most posh) Benson Town, turning towards R and saying with my eloquent eyes: 'Just watch this'.

And would you believe it? The bugger nodded his head and promptly started turning down the meter! That has not happened to me since I had a minor op for an ingrown toe-nail and asked the doctor for an extra-large bandage and kept it on for longer than necessary and looked at it most piteously when begging autowallas to take me home (mine not theirs).

R is of course convinced I make up all those sob stories about recalcitrant autowallas. There go my car buying plans for another year. If I didn't have Harry Potter 7 to look forward to I would just put my head in the oven and all.

28 Comments:

At August 02, 2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Tridib said...

Methinks, this certain Mr R might actually help you stick to your one-post-a-day resolution. For, the more resolutely he sticks to his no-car mode, the more grist you'll have for your blog mill.

 
At August 02, 2006 10:12 PM, Blogger nothing said...

just to say that the above comment is utterly brilliant.

 
At August 03, 2006 8:41 AM, Blogger Lahar said...

Yes, please blog more. Yours is one of the few readable and least non-pretentious blogs still left.

And, my money is on Ginny dying in HP7. I'm rooting for L Lovegood.

 
At August 03, 2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Jabberwock said...

I don't know who this R is, but you should definitely take Tridib's advice. That's the only way you will have a blog to rival any of the ones mentioned. Travelling in autos is the secret of my success! Also, do what I do and give each auto-wallah at least 5 rupees more than asked for. These are poor people, not privileged journos working in AC offices.

 
At August 03, 2006 3:01 PM, Blogger The Marauder's Map said...

Tridib: Mr R apreciates the suggestion but refuses to take it. Mr R is a good man who has his wife's best interests at heart and will not see her suffering. I believe in true love.

Still Dancer: What about the utterly brilliant post huh?

Lahar: High praise indeed! And you mean Luna for Harry? I sort of thought she and Neville would pair up.

Jabberwock: When was the last time you actually stepped into an auto?

 
At August 03, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Jabberwock said...

Uh, um, err, let's see *thinks long and hard* - Yesterday.

 
At August 03, 2006 6:09 PM, Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

This dialogue between Dr. R and Mr. T is quite surreal.

I wonder exactly what Lahar means by "least non-pretentious". The Marauder - pretentious?! (makes note)

As for Rodeo, must go there next time I'm in Delhi (next week?). Maybe with the Duck, if he has the time. Their leg of lamb .. ah! With sour cream and new potatoes on the side ...
But you, of course, are in Bangalore. Tsk! (gloats evilly)

J.A.P.

 
At August 03, 2006 6:22 PM, Blogger Lahar said...

JAP, I stand corrected. I started off with a " most non-pretentious", realized that didnt sound right, and made it "least", without the corresponding change.

Marauder- Luna is a thing of rare beauty. She deserves better than Harry, really. Maybe Snape and her...

 
At August 03, 2006 7:55 PM, Blogger jhantu said...

how cme you didnt mention the "jhantu-blog" in the list of the bold and the beautiful and the famous of the blogosphere.

Now my feelings are hurt

 
At August 04, 2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Priya said...

Stop complaining/cribbing, will you? It's becoming a way of your life!:P Just blog, why bother about stardom? And btw, I hope R's also aware of the lifts you frequently get to go back home:D Haven't met the sweetheart for a while. May I come over this weekend?;)

 
At August 04, 2006 6:30 PM, Blogger The Marauder's Map said...

Jabberwock: Sorry, when I used to know you you were always zipping about in the snazzy green Maru-tti 800 of yours, thus the assumption. Maybe autos are better.

JAP: Yes, the Duck is definitely not under-age anymore (though now inversely he may claim to be)

Lahar: How dare JAP try to offend my few blog-fans away? Don't pay attention to him, he's just an old pedant. And you ahve really subversive views about Harry Potter pairings, don't you? BTW, I thought there was distinct chemistry between Snape and the Malfoy wife, what with all the arm holding while making unbreakable vow etc.

Jhantu: How remiss of me! Here I jump to 'edit blog;.

Priya: Hello, cribbing IS a way of life! I thought that was always understood. Rule no.1 of blogging: When you want to blog but don't know what to write, crib.

And yes, most welcome this weekend. Better still, why don't you invite us to lunch/dinner/brunch/rain dance at your place? The 'sweetheart' will also attend of course.

 
At August 04, 2006 6:57 PM, Blogger Jabberwock said...

Just for the record, I have never had a snazzy green Maruti 800. Age is de-colouring your memory, dear Bagchi. I do have a snazzy green blog though...

 
At August 06, 2006 9:19 AM, Blogger Queen Of The Worms said...

hiya.
i hate to do this, butharry potter SUCKS!!!!!! while ur still staring incredulously at the last sentence, plz plz go to my blog and read! i swear u can call me crazy after u read it, but plz read it first!! it's for ur own good.
*poof*

ps. yeah, do blog more. i like the way u write.

pps. ginny is very annoying, luna's nicer. not that, ofcourse, the whole of harry potter doesn't suck but still.

 
At August 07, 2006 3:53 PM, Blogger Priya said...

Sorry, saw your reply only just. The weekend's over. But for rain dance, you have to go to Delhi (maybe you can accompany JAP on his next visit:P), for all else, always welcome to my garibkhana.

 
At August 08, 2006 7:47 PM, Blogger LAK said...

There there, it is just Murphy's law, just like the car behaving perfectly when taken to a mechanic. As for HP7, maybe Harry will put his head in the oven.(Noooo----!)

 
At August 11, 2006 3:48 AM, Blogger mitasho said...

When is the 7th book out? I thought JKR was still writing it!!

more importantly, of course...

Having lived in Delhi for a couple of years... empathize with your auto worries. I swear I'd turn up for work shaking and traumatized!

 
At August 13, 2006 11:46 PM, Blogger Bishwanath Ghosh said...

Great post. But the comment box gives material for even a greater post! :)

 
At August 17, 2006 11:43 PM, Blogger ghetufool said...

haate hari bahnga jak tahole.

when R was coming with me from the office (the one that nds at 7 with no drops) he was cursing the auto rickshaw wallas everyday. he was actually lamenting for not having a conveyance. so you can carry forward the case from here.

 
At October 31, 2006 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At October 31, 2006 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At October 31, 2006 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At October 31, 2006 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At December 13, 2006 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..but u got a nice maroon car..with driver...do drop home!!

 
At August 18, 2007 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

 
At August 18, 2007 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Blog!

 
At August 18, 2007 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

 
At September 04, 2007 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting site. Blog is very good. I am happy that I think the same!

 
At September 10, 2007 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home