Saturday, September 23, 2006

On watching The Devil Wears Prada

Ron and I (oooh look, even I have friends with hip names) went and watched The Devil Wears Prada this afternoon and had the most wonderful time. Clothes were ooohd and aaahd over and bad-boss stories were exchanged in a beautifully therapeutic experience.

We were both glad we hadn't taken the men along, I because of a couple of reasons:

1. R just wouldn't have got the clothes or the labels or why they were so important. He wouldn't have seen how the heroine looked different after she got a makeover. He would so totally have blanked out on the references to the big fashion names and probably thought Karl Lagerfeld referred to a brand of bottled beer.

2. We have finally acquired the car and he is totally convinced we are on the brink of everlasting penury, so I would have had to do without the popcorn and soft drinks or had popcorn and soft drinks plus long lecture on better financial management.

I don't know how many of you have read the book by Lauren Weisberger. My advice is don't, just go watch the film. This is one rare instance of the film bettering the book by a long, long margin. This of course has a lot to do with the fact that this is fashion you are dealing with, and in the book you just don't get enough of it. While the visual factor is obviously lacking, you also realise that the author is being extremely snooty and derisive about fashion (one reason her book got terrible reviews from a lot of New York critics), while the film maintains a nice balance between being derisive and a little, just the right bit, worshippy.

The characters too are much better etched out in the film. The heroine, Andy Sachs, is a whiny creature in the book, one whose problems you cease to empathise with after a little while. In the film, she's smarter and spunkier. And then there's the Boss from Hell herself -- Miranda Priestly (not-at-all loosely fashioned after Vogue editor Anna Wintour), played by a magnificent Meryl Streep. Her character's much more well-rounded and believable in the film -- in the book she's just this cardboard ogre-figure.

And the clothes, oh the sumptuous, delicious, utterly amazingly beautiful clothes. And, oh, the even more wonderful accessories. You know what they say about building your look around a necklace? This film does it with such style and aplomb (and here one can't help but make unfavourable comparisons with supposed fashion editor Preity Zinta's wardrobe in KANK).

I don't think I've ever revealed this, but I love fashion (though you would never know it to see me, it's that well-kept a secret). On the ride back home (in my new car) I daydreamed of heading Indian Vogue whenever it is launched and even contemplated adding R's surname to mine because I think it would make my name sound a little more glamorous and got a little angry with the parents for lumping me with such a very unglamorous name. But at the end I had decided it (my name) had just the right hint of mystique, so the Vogue guys wouldn't really have anything to complain about.

But more on that later. My name merits a post (maybe multiple ones) on itself and we shall save it for the day I hear the 108th version of it (we're on 88). Meanwhile, do watch this fun, frivolous, completely enjoyable film -- even if women's fashion is not exactly a passion. The man sitting next to me seemed to be enjoying it thoroughly too and I actually heard him thank his girlfriend for making him watch it and I'm really, really not making this up to teach R a lesson for dumping his wife in the middle of a Saturday afternoon.

10 Comments:

At September 24, 2006 10:47 AM, Blogger Sheetal said...

The movie's better than the book, huh? Shan't read it then, because I LOVED the movie. Meryl Streep - magnificent doesn't begin to describe it.
You want to head Vogue-India too? So does another friend of mine - so between you, I should be assured of several freebie makeup kits and parfumery yay!

 
At September 24, 2006 3:21 PM, Blogger Arthur Quiller Couch said...

So which day of the week should he dump you?
Maybe you're just more fun as a blogger than as a wife? Your review reads like you've been inspired to chick-lit.

 
At September 25, 2006 12:09 PM, Blogger Ron said...

I totally completely agree with Point number 1. Plus my R would have missed out on dialogues and asked me "what did she say"? at least a 100 times.

I havent read the book, and now I wont bother to either. I must say, that while on Friday evening I was bitching about my boss, today he seems absolutely wonderful. Really, Im so lucky! *Sniff*

 
At September 26, 2006 4:21 AM, Blogger Rimi said...

Uff, why do you pile it on so? Didn't you know I refused to go TWICE to this mowie and dismissed it as the 'drfinitely shallow and stupid' sort? Now I've gotto see both Lage Raho... and Devil Wears Prada to keep up my ueber-cool reputation.

And I bet they'll leave town by the time I drag myself to Inox. Happens everytime.

 
At September 28, 2006 6:04 AM, Blogger the cowlick said...

This is really surprising you know.. the damn movie's out everywhere in the world except in Aust. And that's making me pretty pissed.

 
At October 03, 2006 9:01 AM, Blogger Lahar said...

I caught this over the weekend. I found it surprisingly good. My favorite quote was "I'm really a girl". Maybe I'll start using it :D

 
At October 06, 2006 9:15 PM, Blogger nothing said...

umm...you mean it is not a brand of beer?
goodness gracious me!

 
At October 10, 2006 3:14 AM, Blogger DesiGirl said...

so, what is your name then?

 
At October 18, 2006 2:11 PM, Blogger Ravi said...

I completely disagree.IMO, the funniest segments of the book are Andy Sachs' intended sarcastic remarks to Miranda's questions ( written in italics ). However, since the movie has a silent third person narrative, that is completely lost.
But I understand how the movie would be a visual treat for someone interested in fashion. Read my review of the book - http://ravivenkatesh.blogspot.com/2006/09/devil-wears-prada-book-review.html

 
At October 24, 2006 2:38 AM, Blogger Revealed said...

You got it spot on! I saw the movie first (thankfully) and was then inspired to read the book (unfortunately I might add cos I must have wasted like at least half a day on it!). I definitely empathised with Andie MUCH more in the movie than the book. I almost felt sorry for ALL her friends AND her bf and found myself wishing fervently that she'd get over herself when I was reading the book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home